Friday, July 24, 2009

Orientation: The Do's and Don't Worries

Dear Incoming Freshmen, Future Politicians, Teachers, Doctors, Designers, and Philanthropists:

You've all heard that one word, Orientation. Just those five syllables gets your heart racing, your palms clammy, your mouth dry and numb. No worries, I am here to calm all your fears. Orientation should not be a time to stress over whether the classes you register for or the major you choose will forever be set in stone. Instead it should be a chance to discover what classes your college has to offer that will help in finding your true passion in life!

First and foremost, DON'T WORRY. Choosing a major seems very intimidating because there are so many options to choose from. However, the key thing to keep in mind is to stay in an area that you find interesting and are thinking of pursuing. If you are thinking of a health profession, choose a major that deals with Science. If you like writing and journalism choose a major that deals with English and so on. Just focus on the more GENERAL area and then you can narrow it down once you get adjusted. I've switched 4 times already from Biology to Psychology because I was intrigue by my abnormal psychology class. Then I switched to Microbiology because I felt that the science profession was for me. Finally after exploring the health field some more and talking to upperclassmen I finally decided on Nutrition and I haven’t fallen behind on my courses because I stayed in the general science field.

Secondly, the classes that you register for are not set in stone; you can always change them after preview. The important thing to keep in mind is to complete all general education requirements before you can take the courses that your major requires such as maybe Chemistry or Composition or Psychology. Also, http://www.ratemyprofessor.com/ is your friend! It is a great source for advice from previous students on the teaching styles and difficulty levels of different professors in your college. However, don't rely solely on their advice. Sometimes what they say might be wrong so just keep in mind that it is their OPINION.

And finally, have fun! College is a time for independence and discovering what YOU want to do. Don't burden yourself with so many difficult courses because you should enjoy your first year and have time for adjustment. Also, get active. Attend a variety of club meetings to get a feel for what organization you want to get involved in but do get involved! Its worth it and you get to meet so many different and amazing people who will help you along the way and make your college years UNFORGETTABLE.

So take a nice long deep breath and enjoy your first year as a college undergraduate!

Best wishes,
Ky

No comments:

Post a Comment