Thursday, October 14, 2010
The Professional Corner: Organizations That Helped Cultivate My Leadership
Getting involved on- or off-campus in organizations, clubs, or networks can be an enriching experience and a great place to foster leadership qualities and skills. Take a few moments to browse through the advice these professionals share regarding how their involvement in organizations, clubs, or networks enhanced their leadership and personal growth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In high school, I was president of Junior Engineering Technical society, and it helped my leadership skills tremendously since we put on our own high school tournament.
ReplyDeleteIn college, I "discovered" my racial identity and became very involved in the Asian Student Union - including becoming the school Senate representative for the Asian Student Union and president of the organization my senior year.
I would strongly advise finding an organization or cause you feel passionately about and finding a way to fill a niche/fulfill a need in that group.
I was selected to join the Golden Key International Honor Society my sophomore year. This organization is the "world’s premier collegiate honor society, recognizing outstanding academic achievement and connecting high-achieving individuals locally, regionally & globally with lifetime opportunity, reward & success."
ReplyDeleteI was provided resources to meet peers studying the same fields as I was possible mentors to further enrich my studies and development as well as to challenge my principles of leadership and development.
I truly value each experience I had with this organization.
College organizations, e.g., positions as newspaper and yearbook editors, were my first challenging leadership experiences. Trial and (many) errors taught me (us) how to get things done with the least pain.
ReplyDeleteUpon graduation, 24 years in the U.S. Army, needless to say, was was the ultimate leadership lab. Being faced with daily life or death situations definitely raises the ante!
In all cases, the major lesson learned was the need to carefully think through all aspects of contemplated actions.