Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Keeping Healthy

By Kyle Lui

With flu season just around the corner, I thought I’d write about something a bit different this week. According to a recent university study, annual flu epidemics result in 600,000 life-years lost, 3 million hospitalization days and 30 million outpatient visits at a total estimated cost of $10 billion annually. While completely avoiding the flu isn’t possible, good hygiene and keeping healthy can certainly help matters. Washing your hands constants, covering your mouth when you sneeze, and dressing warmly when it’s chilly outside are obvious tips that I'd imagine most of you already know about.

But what about the broader topic of keeping healthy? Most high school students typically have at least an hour or more of physical activity or exercise each school day. With a somewhat regular sleeping schedule, high metabolism, and (for at least some of you) regular home cooked meals, the high school years for your typical Asian American teenager are characterized by academics, puberty, social awkwardness, extra-curricular activities and hints of becoming an adult. College, however, is completely different. While some college students live at home, many are moving out on their own for the first time. You no longer have a set schedule that requires you to wake up at 7am, or go to sports practice after class. And with the stress of a new environment, tough academic schedules, and being truly independent for the first time, health is sometimes ignored.

Exercising. Most university gyms are spacious, well-equipped and have generous open hours. Exercising several times a week for an hour could help prevent the “freshman 15” which many students experience in their first year. Being in business school myself, I usually schedule time to go to the gym daily, even when I find myself stretched for time. Exercising also has the added benefit of reducing stress and is generally believed to boost your immune system.

Watching what you eat. In my first year of college, I lived in the dorms where I was able to eat buffet meals three times a day. Admittedly I didn’t think the food was the best, but given that meals were part of the housing fees, I ate there often and it’s quite easy to go back for “seconds” and “thirds”.Without your mom's daily homecooking, it is up to you to watch what you eat.

Drinking. We all know that the drinking age in the US is 21 years ago. We also know that it is pretty common for college students to drink before they reach the legal age. What’s important to remember (other than the fact that this is technically illegal) is that moderation is key. Asian-Americans have a higher rate of ALDH2 deficiency, estimated to be up to 50% in East Asians. This is the primary cause of the “Asian Flush”. When you drink alcohol, it is absorbed into your bloodstream and metabolized by ADH which breaks it down to acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is then broken down into acetate and the person will feel effects of consuming alcohol. With many Asian Americans, the acetaldehyde is not broken down quickly into acetate, and acetaldehyde accumulates in the body, causing such effects as redness in the face, hot sensations, rapid heart beat, and fatigue. If you’re drinking for the first time and experiencing this sensation, it is important to know that it isn’t because you necessarily have low-tolerance. It could be that your body isn’t able to process alcohol in the same way as someone with functioning ALDH2 enzymes. Unfortunately there is no real cure for Asian Flush and trust me, it isn’t possible to drink your way out of this condition!

Adequate sleep. According to several studies, up to 50% of Americans consider themselves sleep deprived. This is particularly true for many adolescents and university students. For some, pulling an “all-nighter” may be unavoidable due to a heavy work load or pending exams. While I am certainly not advocating you abide by any strict guidelines, it is important to be cognizant that averaging 5 hours of sleep a night over an extending period of time is detrimental to your health. When I was in college, I probably went to bed around 3am on most nights, which is not uncommon amongst my peers. If you find yourself going to bed later and later for no real reason, you might want to consider changing this habit and see if it helps your energy level during the day. It certainly helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment