What do you do when you meet an influential leader? Ask him what he reads. Unlike a certain governor who reads any newspaper that comes across her table, this former president had a concrete answer.
After a long application process and intense periods of anxious waiting, the Clinton Global Initiative took on my energy and climate change initiative. The Green Literary Initiative was no more than a comprehensive, user-friendly presentation of many climate change mitigating practices for families, but it was what CGI wanted: a commitment that tackles a global issue with a replicable model for change.
Feeling like a lucky winner, I attended the coveted CGI meeting. The forum was filled with very inspirational, meaningful dialogues on an array of global issues, but the most unexpected source of inspiration and meaning that weekend was Slick Willy himself. Former President Clinton was, in the most genuine sense of each word, an attentive listener, an analytic moderator, and a charming gentleman. This was the kind of person I could tell I really want to emulate - a magnetic leader who listens and challenges. As such, the first chance I got to have a real conversation with him I asked him what books he recommended I read. After jogging his memory, he said Life of Pi.
What does this say to you about a leader? about FP Clinton? Your constructive thoughts on the book, energy and climate change, and other views on qualities of a leader are welcome.
Now, there were other interesting thoughts we shared, but for those there are entries to come.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment